Insurance Coverage: Many major insurance plans no longer cover Invokamet starting in 2016. Learn More
What should I watch for?
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress.
This medicine can cause a serious condition in which there is too much acid in the blood. If you develop nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, unusual tiredness, or breathing problems, stop taking this medicine and call your doctor right away. If possible, use a ketone dipstick to check for ketones in your urine.
A test called the HbA1C (A1C) will be monitored. This is a simple blood test. It measures your blood sugar control over the last 2 to 3 months. You will receive this test every 3 to 6 months.
Learn how to check your blood sugar. Learn the symptoms of low and high blood sugar and how to manage them.
Always carry a quick-source of sugar with you in case you have symptoms of low blood sugar. Examples include hard sugar candy or glucose tablets. Make sure others know that you can choke if you eat or drink when you develop serious symptoms of low blood sugar, such as seizures or unconsciousness. They must get medical help at once.
Tell your doctor or health care professional if you have high blood sugar. You might need to change the dose of your medicine. If you are sick or exercising more than usual, you might need to change the dose of your medicine.
This medicine may cause ovulation in premenopausal women who do not have regular monthly periods. This may increase your chances of becoming pregnant. You should not take this medicine if you become pregnant or think you may be pregnant. Talk with your doctor or health care professional about your birth control options while taking this medicine. Contact your doctor or health care professional right away if think you are pregnant.
If you are going to need surgery, a MRI, CT scan, or other procedure, tell your doctor that you are taking this medicine. You may need to stop taking this medicine before the procedure.
Wear a medical ID bracelet or chain, and carry a card that describes your disease and details of your medicine and dosage times.
Side Effects to watch for
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- chest pain
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- muscle aches or pains
- muscle weakness
- nausea, vomiting, unusual stomach upset or pain
- new pain or tenderness, change in skin color, sores or ulcers, or infection in legs or feet
- signs and symptoms of low blood sugar such as feeling anxious, confusion, dizziness, increased hunger, unusually weak or tired, sweating, shakiness, cold, irritable, headache, blurred vision, fast heartbeat, loss of consciousness
- signs and symptoms of a urinary tract infection, such as fever, chills, a burning feeling when urinating, blood in the urine, back pain
- trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine, including an urgent need to urinate more often, in larger amounts, or at night
- penile discharge, itching, or pain in men
- slow, irregular heartbeat
- unusually tired or weak
- vaginal discharge, itching, or odor in women
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
What may interact with this drug?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- certain contrast medicines given before X-rays, CT scans, MRI, or other procedures
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- certain antiviral medicines for HIV infection or hepatitis
- female hormones, like estrogens or progestins and birth control pills
- medicines for blood pressure, heart disease, irregular heart beat
- nicotinic acid
- phenothiazines like chlorpromazine, mesoridazine, prochlorperazine, thioridazine
- steroid medicines like prednisone or cortisone
- stimulant medicines for attention disorders, weight loss, or to stay awake
- thyroid medicines