Contrave is the newest weight loss medication available by prescription and it looks promising. More than 7,000 prescriptions were written for Contrave in its debut weeks so I’m guessing many of you want to know about it. Turns out that getting a prescription for it may be a little tricky if you want to get it at a savings but there are nice perks the drug company offers that many of you don’t know about.
- So, half of Contrave is a drug we know well: bupropion, which is the generic version of Wellbutrin. Bupropion is used for the treatment of anxiety, depression, and tobacco cessation.
- The other half of Contrave is naltrexone, which has been used to treat people with alcohol or opioid dependence and has been found to suppress appetite as a “positive” side effect.
- Can I use it? Contrave is indicated for adults with a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or higher and adults with a BMI of 27 or higher with one or more weight-related conditions, including hypertension, type 2 diabetes, or high cholesterol.
- Does it work? Yes, folks who took Contrave lost 5 – 10% of their body weight. So if you are 200 pounds that’s down to 180. In their own studies, the average weight loss was 28 pounds.
- How do I get a prescription? Your doctor writes a prescription for it. But, to take advantage of the lowest cost available to you, there are certain pharmacies that will mail Contrave to you at a discounted price. The Contrave.com website will help you with this after you enroll in the savings program. Do the work on this to see how you can get your best price, but if it’s too much of a hassle you can always get it at your local pharmacy (check Goodrx for coupons).
- Contrave gets delivered to your home after you “sign up” on Contrave.com to enroll. I know, I thought to myself “what a hassle for patients” but you can get it for $55-70 bucks a month (even less after a few months).
- What is the Scale Down program? After your fill your prescription for Contrave you can register online for this program. It’s free. You will receive a digital, wireless scale you step on every day and the Scale Down program receives your data wirelessly and tracks your weight.
- People do best when taking a weight loss medication along with a program that holds you accountable. Scale Down sends you texts based on your weigh-ins. If you don’t want this, of course you can still take Contrave.