Have you been recently diagnosed with diabetes, or perhaps you are a long-time diabetic in need of a meter upgrade? Look no further—listed below are popular diabetic supply manufacturers and what THEY can offer YOU for FREE (or at a low cost)!
Most manufacturers are willing to give away blood glucose testing meters with the expectation that you will continue to buy their brand of test strips, and many have discounts or assistance programs available to help you save on the test strips as well.
• Free meter: OneTouch-Verio IQ or OneTouch Verio. Check to see if you qualify here.
• Which test strips can you use with the free meter? OneTouch Verio Test Strips
• Are OneTouch supplies covered by your insurance? Find out here.
• There isn’t currently assistance available for uninsured patients, but LifeScan recommends checking your eligibility for Medicare, Medicaid, and the Health Insurance Marketplace.
• Not good with computers, or just rather speak to a person? No problem—you can call 1-800-227-8862 for more information on any OneTouch program.
• Free meter: ACCU-CHEK Nano SmartView (plus free color skin). Get your certificate for the free meter here.
• Which test strips can you use with the free meter? Accu-Chek SmartView Test Strips
• Patient support program: Accu-Check Connect offers support, tools, and a discount on test strips. If you’re eligible, Accu-Chek Connect includes a discount card that will let you save on each test strip prescription.
• Are you currently using an Accu-Chek Advantage Meter? If so, you can receive a FREE upgrade to the Accu-Chek Aviva Plus meter (used with Accu-Chek Aviva Plus Test Strips). Visit the Accu-Chek Advantage page to upgrade.
• Not good with computers, or just rather speak to a person? No problem—you can call 1-800-858-8072 for more information on any Accu-Chek program.
• Free meter: Get any FreeStyle meter and test strips free when you register for the FreeStyle Promise Program. Register and request your meter here.
• Free meter for insured patients: If you meet the requirements, your insurance may cover any FreeStyle meter for free. You can submit your request here.
• Which test strips can you use with the free meters? FreeStyle Test Strips, FreeStyle Lite Test Strips, FreeStyle Insulinx Test Strips
• Patient support program: The FreeStyle Promise Program offers monthly co-pays as low as $15 on test strips in addition to the free meter.
• Covered by Medicare? FreeStyle also offers a free meter, support, and a help line for questions at 1-855-578-2660. You can also find more information and enroll online here.
• Not good with computers, or just rather speak to a person? No problem—you can call 1-855-578-2660 for more information on any FreeStyle program.
With several choices for a free meter, you’ll want to compare the cost and effectiveness of the test strips over time to be sure you get the best option for you. If you don’t qualify for a discount on test strips with your meter, be sure to shop around, and try buying online—you may save a lot over buying off the shelf at a brick and mortar pharmacy. Start your test strip comparison shopping here.
The GoodRx Pharmacist
Updated April 17, 2015