What should I watch for?
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular check ups. Tell your doctor or if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
Call your doctor as soon as you can if you get a fever, watery diarrhea, stomach pain, or vomiting. These could be symptoms of a more serious illness. Do not treat yourself. Call your doctor for advice.
If you are diabetic you may get a false-positive result for sugar in your urine. Talk to your health care provider.
This medicine may cause a decrease in vitamin B12. You should make sure that you get enough vitamin B12 while you are taking this medicine. Discuss the foods you eat and the vitamins you take with your health care professional.
Side Effects to watch for
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- bloody or watery diarrhea
- breathing problems
- fever with rash, swollen lymph nodes, or swelling of the face
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- signs and symptoms of a dangerous change in heartbeat or heart rhythm like chest pain; dizziness; fast or irregular heartbeat; palpitations; feeling faint or lightheaded, falls; breathing problems
- signs and symptoms of kidney injury like trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
- signs and symptoms of liver injury like dark yellow or brown urine; general ill feeling or flu-like symptoms; light-colored stools; loss of appetite; nausea; right upper belly pain; unusually weak or tired; yellowing of the eyes or skin
- stomach polyps
- vaginal discharge, itching, or odor in women
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
What may interact with this drug?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- certain medicines for cholesterol like cerivastatin, lovastatin, simvastatin
- certain medicines for HIV or AIDS like atazanavir, nelfinavir, rilpivirine, saquinavir
- dihydroergotamine, ergotamine
- ergot alkaloids like dihydroergotamine, ergonovine, ergotamine, methylergonovine
- red yeast rice
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- certain medicines for anxiety or sleep
- certain medicines for blood pressure
- certain medicines for diabetes
- certain medicines for erectile dysfunction
- certain medicines for fungal infections
- certain medicines for irregular heart beat
- certain medicines for seizures
- certain medicines that treat or prevent blood clots like warfarin
- female hormones, like estrogens or progestins and birth control pills
- iron supplements
- other medicines for cholesterol
- other medicines for HIV or AIDS
- other medicines for infections
- other medicines that prolong the QT interval (cause an abnormal heart rhythm)
- St. John's Wort