Ergotamine / Caffeine Side Effects
What should I watch for?
Check with your doctor or health care professional if you do not get relief from your headaches after using this medicine. You may need to be changed to a different kind of medicine to treat your migraines.
This medicine decreases the circulation of blood to your skin, fingers, and toes. You may get more sensitive to the cold. Elderly patients are more likely to feel this effect. Dress warmly and avoid long exposure to the cold.
This medicine contains caffeine. Limit your intake of caffeinated beverages on the days that you use this medicine.
If you take migraine medicines for 10 or more days a month, your migraines may get worse. Keep a diary of headache days and medicine use. Contact your healthcare professional if your migraine attacks occur more frequently.
Side Effects to watch for
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- chest pain or tightness
- cold hands or feet
- fast, slow, or pounding heartbeat
- leg or arm pain or cramps
- rectal discomfort or sores
- stomach pain
- swelling of hands, ankles, or feet
- tingling, pain, or numbness in the face, hands, or feet
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- increased urination
What may interact with this drug?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- antifungal drugs like fluconazole, itraconazole, ketoconazole or voriconazole
- certain antibiotics like erythromycin, clarithromycin, and troleandomycin
- grapefruit juice
- medicines called nitrates like isosorbide and nitroglycerin
- medicines for colds, flu, or breathing difficulties like phenylephrine and pseudoephedrine
- medicines for HIV or AIDS called protease inhibitors, delavirdine, efavirenz, nelfinavir
- medicines for migraine headache like almotriptan, eletriptan, frovatriptan, naratriptan, rizatriptan, sumatriptan, and zolmitriptan
- other ergot alkaloids like bromocriptine, cabergoline, dihydroergotamine, ergoloid mesylates, ergonovine, methylergonovine, and methysergide
This medicine may also interact with the following medications: