Robitussin Side Effects
What should I watch for?
Drink several glasses of water each day. This will help loosen mucus.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol may interfere with the effect of this medicine. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
Side Effects to watch for
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- anxiety, irritable, or excited
- breathing problems
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
What may interact with this drug?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- ergot alkaloids like dihydroergotamine
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
- stimulant medicines for attention disorders, weight loss, or to stay awake
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- barbiturates like phenobarbital
- certain heart medicines like metoprolol, digoxin, and methyldopa
- medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
- medicines for sleep
- medicines to treat blood pressure
- muscle relaxers
- other medicines for cold, cough, or allergy
- some medicines used for sleep during surgery