Norvir Side Effects
What should I watch for?
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular check ups. Discuss any new symptoms with your doctor. You will need to have important blood work done while on this medicine.
Birth control pills may not work properly while you are taking this medicine. Talk to your doctor about using an extra method of birth control. Women who can still have children must use a reliable form of barrier contraception, like a condom or diaphragm.
This medicine may affect blood sugar levels. If you have diabetes, check with your doctor or health care professional before you change your diet or the dose of your diabetic medicine.
Side Effects to watch for
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
What may interact with this drug?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- certain medicines for irregular heart beat like amiodarone, bepridil, dofetilide, dronedarone, flecainide, propafenone, quinidine
- ergot alkaloids like dihydroergotamine, ergonovine, ergotamine, methylergonovine
- red yeast rice
- St. John's wort
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- birth control pills, patches, rings, or injections
- certain medicines for blood pressure, heart disease, irregular heart beat like digoxin, disopyramide, lidocaine, mexiletine, metoprolol, timolol
- certain medicines for cancer like dasatinib, nilotinib, vinblastine, vincristine
- certain medicines for cholesterol like atorvastatin, rosuvastatin
- certain medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances amitriptyline, bupropion, desipramine, fluoxetine, nefazodone, nortriptyline, paroxetine, perphenazine, quetiapine, risperidone, thioridazine, trazodone
- certain medicines for erectile dysfunction like avanafil, sildenafil, tadalafil, vardenafil
- certain medicines for fungal infections like fluconazole, itraconazole, posaconazole
- certain medicines for seizures like carbamazepine, clonazepam, ethosuximide, divalproex, lamotrigine, phenytoin
- certain medicines for sleep like buspirone, clorazepate, diazepam, estazolam, flurazepam, zolpidem
- certain medicines that treat or prevent blood clots like warfarin, rivaroxaban
- narcotic medicines for pain
- other antivirals for HIV
- steroid medicines like betamethasone, budesonide, ciclesonide, dexamethasone, fluticasone, methylprednisolone, mometasone, prednisolone, triamcinolone