Northera Side Effects
What should I watch for?
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. Your treatments will be monitored closely. Check your blood pressure as directed. Ask your doctor or health care professional what your blood pressure should be when sitting and when standing and when you should contact him or her.
When you rest and sleep, make sure that your upper body is elevated. Check your blood pressure regularly while in this position.
Do not treat yourself for coughs, colds, or pain while you are using this medicine without asking your doctor or health care professional for advice. Some ingredients may increase your blood pressure.
Side Effects to watch for
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- high blood pressure
- signs and symptoms of neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS) such as confusion; fast or irregular heart beat; high fever; increased sweating; uncontrolled head, mouth, neck, arm, or leg movements; stiff muscles
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
What may interact with this drug?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- ergot alkaloids like dihydroergotamine, ergonovine, ergotamine, methylergonovine
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- certain MAOIs like Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
- certain medicines for migraine headache like almotriptan, eletriptan, frovatriptan, naratriptan, rizatriptan, sumatriptan, zolmitriptan
- certain medicines used to treat colds such as phenylephrine and pseudoephedrine
- stimulant medicines for attention disorders, weight loss, or to stay awake