Lopinavir / Ritonavir Side Effects
What should I watch for?
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular check ups. Discuss any new symptoms with your doctor. You will need to have important blood work done while on this medicine.
Birth control pills may not work properly while you are taking this medicine. Talk to your doctor about using an extra method of birth control. Women who can still have children must use a reliable form of barrier contraception, like a condom or diaphragm.
This medicine may affect blood sugar levels. If you have diabetes, check with your doctor or health care professional before you change your diet or the dose of your diabetic medicine.
Some products may contain alcohol. Ask your pharmacist or healthcare provider if this medicine contains alcohol. Be sure to tell all healthcare providers you are taking this medicine. Certain medicines, like metronidazole and disulfiram, can cause an unpleasant reaction when taken with alcohol. The reaction includes flushing, headache, nausea, vomiting, sweating, and increased thirst. The reaction can last from 30 minutes to several hours.
Side Effects to watch for
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- fast, irregular heart rate
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain
- red, hot, painful spot on leg
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
What may interact with this drug?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- certain medicines for cholesterol like lovastatin, simvastatin
- certain medicines for hepatitis C like elbasvir; grazoprevir, boceprevir, simeprevir, dasabuvir; ombitasvir; paritaprevir; ritonavir
- ergot alkaloids like dihydroergotamine, ergonovine, ergotamine, methylergonovine
- red yeast rice
- St. John's wort
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- birth control pills
- certain medicines for blood pressure like felodipine, nicardipine, nifedipine
- certain medicines for cancer like vinblastine, vincristine, dasatinib, nilotinib, venetoclax
- certain medicines for cholesterol like atorvastatin
- certain medicines for erectile dysfunction like sildenafil, tadalafil, vardenafil
- certain medicines for fungal infections like fluconazole, isavuconazonium, itraconazole, ketoconazole, posaconazole, voriconazole
- certain medicines for irregular heart beat like amiodarone, bepridil, lidocaine, quinidine
- certain medicines for seizures like carbamazepine, lamotrigine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, valproate
- certain medicines that treat or prevent blood clots like warfarin
- other medicines for HIV or AIDS
- other medicines that prolong the QT interval (cause an abnormal heart rhythm)
- steroid medicines like budesonide, dexamethasone, fluticasone, prednisone, triamcinolone