What should I watch for?
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular check ups. Discuss any new symptoms with your doctor. You will need to have important blood work done while on this medicine.
Birth control pills may not work properly while you are taking this medicine. Talk to your doctor about using an extra method of birth control. Women who can still have children must use a reliable form of barrier contraception, like a condom.
Side Effects to watch for
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- muscle pain or weakness
- signs and symptoms of kidney injury like trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
- signs and symptoms of liver injury like dark yellow or brown urine; general ill feeling or flu-like symptoms; light-colored stools; loss of appetite; right upper belly pain; unusually weak or tired; yellowing of the eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
What may interact with this drug?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- certain medicines for seizures like carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin
- lumacaftor; ivacaftor
- medicines for cholesterol like lovastatin, simvastatin
- medicines for headaches like dihydroergotamine, ergotamine, methylergonovine
- other antiviral medicines for HIV or AIDS
- St. John's wort
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- buprenorphine; naloxone
- certain antibiotics like clarithromycin, telithromycin, rifabutin, rifapentine
- certain medications for anxiety or sleep like buspirone, clorazepate, diazepam, estazolam, flurazepam, zolpidem
- certain medicines for blood pressure or heart disease like amlodipine, diltiazem, felodipine, metoprolol, nicardipine, nifedipine, timolol, verapamil
- certain medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychiatric disturbances
- certain medicines for erectile dysfunction like avanafil, sildenafil, tadalafil, vardenafil
- certain medicines for fungal infection like itraconazole, ketoconazole, voriconazole
- female hormones, like estrogens and progestins and birth control pills
- medicines for infection like acyclovir, cidofovir, valacyclovir, ganciclovir, valganciclovir
- medicines for irregular heart beat like amiodarone, bepridil, digoxin, disopyramide, dofetilide, flecainide, lidocaine, mexiletine, propafenone, quinidine
- phenothiazines like perphenazine, risperidone, thioridazine
- steroid medicines like betamethasone, budesonide, ciclesonide, dexamethasone, fluticasone, methylprednisolone, mometasone, triamcinolone