Gefitinib Side Effects
What should I watch for?
Visit your doctor for checks on your progress. You will need to have regular blood tests while on this medicine.
Report any new symptoms promptly. Let your doctor know if you have severe or persistent diarrhea, nausea, loss of appetite, or vomiting, as these side effects may cause dehydration. This drug may cause severe lung problems. Call your doctor if your breathing gets worse and/or you develop a cough or fever.
Do not become pregnant while taking this medicine or for 2 weeks after stopping it. Women should inform their doctor if they wish to become pregnant or think they might be pregnant. Women of child-bearing potential will need to have a negative pregnancy test before starting this medicine. There is a potential for serious side effects to an unborn child. Talk to your health care professional or pharmacist for more information. Do not breast-feed an infant while taking this medicine.
Side Effects to watch for
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- changes in vision
- eye pain
- nausea, vomiting
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- red spots on the skin
- signs and symptoms of liver injury like dark yellow or brown urine; general ill feeling or flu-like symptoms; light-colored stools; loss of appetite; nausea; right upper belly pain; unusually weak or tired; yellowing of the eyes or skin
- stomach pain
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
What may interact with this drug?
- antiviral medicines for HIV or AIDS
- certain medicines for fungal infections like ketoconazole and itraconazole
- certain medicines for seizures like carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin
- certain medicines for stomach problems like cimetidine, famotidine, omeprazole, lansoprazole
- certain medicines that treat or prevent blood clots like warfarin