With almost identical active ingredient names, these medications can be easy to confuse—but esomeprazole strontium is not a generic equivalent to Nexium. Although both treat GERD (heartburn), they are available in different strengths and have different advantages.
What is GERD?
GERD or gastroesophageal reflux disease is more commonly known as heartburn. Heartburn is a form of indigestion in which your stomach acid comes back up into the esophagus.
What type of medication are esomeprazole magnesium and strontium?
PPIs work by shutting off the “pumps” in the body responsible for releasing acid in the stomach. They decrease the amount of acid in the stomach and help control the symptoms of acid reflux or GERD.
- Nexium (esomeprazole magnesium) 20 mg capsules are now available over-the-counter and they do NOT require a prescription. Nexium 24HR can be found in your pharmacy or grocery store aisles in the stomach section. Check out our previous article for more information.
- Nexium’s manufacturer, AztraZeneca, has a savings card program for the prescription version. For those who qualify, you may pay as little as $25 per month for your prescription.
- Nexium (esomeprazole magnesium) can be used in pediatric patients 1 month of age and older. Esomeprazole strontium is NOT recommended for use in pediatric patients.
- Nexium may be going generic soon! The anticipated generic launch date was May 2014, so keep your eyes open for a potential generic product launch in the near future.
What are the advantages of using esomeprazole strontium?
- Esomeprazole strontium is already available generically. Generic medications provide a potential cost savings to you through a lower cash price or insurance co-pay without needing to use a manufacturer discount.
- Esomeprazole strontium has comparable dosing to the higher dose of prescription Nexium (esomeprazole magnesium). Esomeprazole strontium 49.3 mg provides an equivalent dose of medication to Nexium (esomeprazole magnesium) 40 mg capsules.
We've sent a link to download the GoodRx mobile app to your phone.
We were unable to send a link to your phone.