What should I watch for?
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol may interfere with the effect of this medicine. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
Smoking cigarettes may increase the risk of heart-related side effects from using this medicine.
If you take migraine medicines for 10 or more days a month, your migraines may get worse. Keep a diary of headache days and medicine use. Contact your healthcare professional if your migraine attacks occur more frequently.
Side Effects to watch for
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- bloody or watery diarrhea
- hallucination, loss of contact with reality
- pain, tingling, numbness in the face, hands, or feet
- signs and symptoms of a blood clot such as breathing problems; changes in vision; chest pain; severe, sudden headache; pain, swelling, warmth in the leg; trouble speaking; sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm, or leg
- signs and symptoms of a dangerous change in heartbeat or heart rhythm like chest pain; dizziness; fast or irregular heartbeat; palpitations, feeling faint or lightheaded; falls; breathing problems
- signs and symptoms of a stroke like changes in vision; confusion; trouble speaking or understanding; severe headaches; sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm, or leg; trouble walking; dizziness; loss of balance or coordination
- stomach pain
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report these to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
What may interact with this drug?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medicines:
- ergot alkaloids like dihydroergotamine, ergonovine, ergotamine, methylergonovine
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
- other medicines for migraine headache like almotriptan, eletriptan, frovatriptan, naratriptan, rizatriptan, zolmitriptan
This medicine may also interact with the following medications: